Saturday, May 21, 2011

Secret Mommyhood Confession: My barefoot baby



We were at baby story time the other day at the library, when I noticed it.

"Touch your toes!" said the librarian. "Where are your toes? That's right, they're inside your shoes!"

I looked down at Baby Girl's tiny (and delicious) toes then looked around the room. Every baby but her was wearing socks and sneakers.

Wait. Did I miss something? Do babies need to wear shoes? I mean, wait, this is the library. Maybe you need to wear shoes at the library? Was there a memo I didn't get somewhere?

This isn't the first time we've been different. A few months ago, I started grocery shopping on Friday mornings, when all the cool moms from the rich side of town shop. Every one of them had her impeccably dressed baby in a Moby Wrap, while Baby Girl sat in her carrier in the cart, playing with her toes.

Am I setting her up for a lifetime as a barefoot outcast? Am I always going Will her shoelessness sometime down the line come back to haunt her, as she is labeled the weird kid with the clueless mom?

Or maybe not. Maybe she'll grow up to be the cool rebel who refuses to be constrained by shoes or any other arbitrary rule of the establishment.

Either way, she does have some pretty great toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment