Friday, June 17, 2011

Excuse me while I disappear

Sometimes I feel like curling up into a ball on my living room floor and hiding.

I've told you before how terrible I am at making friends. I'm a pretty shy person, really, and generally not very open about my feelings. I don't know how to talk to people I don't know. I crave closeness but I hold myself back.

I went to a playgroup yesterday. I was so proud of myself for going, for opening myself up to that. I was prepared for disaster. When I got to the park, I didn't see anyone. My mind immediately want to dark places. No one showed up. I spent all morning psyching myself up and no one is here. And they didn't tell me. They knew I was coming, that's why they didn't show up. They hate me. How do they already know that? They haven't even met me yet. They must just have a sense for it.

Yeah, I'm that ridiculous.

Because then I realized the park had two playgrounds.

The playgroup was okay. I made it through just fine Everyone was very nice, but , but I felt like I was on the outside. I didn't talk much, and while the moms tried to talk to me, there wasn't all that much to talk about, so I mostly sat and listened to them talk. What if I say something and they don't like it? What if they think I'm weird because I'm not saying anything at all? I need to leave before they realize how uncool I am. I started trying to plan my exit. How could I leave without insulting them? Maybe if it started raining. Or my phone rang.

I had been waiting for this all week, been so nervous and excited, and I was sitting there hoping my phone would ring.

The Internet makes me brave, which subsequently makes me terrified. I write these posts, or say something on twitter, or leave a comment on a blog, and I am instantly terrified that people are going to hate me. Did I say something wrong? Did I overstep? Why hasn't anyone replied? What does that reply mean?

It's never quiet in my head, people.

Earlier this week, I read Yael's lovely post about popularity, and I instantly went on a quest for the scene she was talking about. I found it. Here it is. Watch. I'll wait.



Every time I watch, it makes me happy. I'm uncool. And when I hang with the cool people (probably a lot of you!) it does make me feel cool. But I'm not. And I need to stop trying to be cool, stop trying to fit into some mold, and just be the gushy, overprotective, random, girly, word-loving, coupon-clipping, nerdy, huggy, terrified woman that I am. I need to learn how to let that be enough.

5 comments:

  1. You are so amazing. You are cool and wonderful and so kind and caring. You have helped me. And no, never try to fit into any idea of a mold. Just be you. You are enough. I swear it. Thank you for being so freaking brave to post this. I have felt the same way. Sending forever hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first couple of times I went to my mom's group I came home in tears b/c I felt so much like an outsider. My husband kept encouraging me to go and I'm glad I did b/c I did finally make some connections. It just takes me longer than most people I think.

    And for what it's worth, I think you're pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a lot like you - I desire connections but have trouble making them. And my mind never turns off either.

    I am trying to not beat myself up about it. And also to push myself a little outside of my comfort zone more often.

    You are definitely cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, just found your blog and am a new follower. I can totally relate to this post. I am always second guessing myself, sitting in the background when there are new people around and finding it difficult to get myself out there to make new friends. I keep telling myself to suck it up, that I need real life mom friends, but so far...I've done nothing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this too. So glad you found that clip :)

    And...it is enough. I know I don't know you, but I like you. Whenever I see your tweets or get a comment from you I smile because you seem like a really, really wonderful person. And that is way cool.

    ReplyDelete