Monday, November 28, 2011

Be enough me: I am striving for purpose

All I am looking for in life is a purpose. I want to matter.

I know that I matter to my baby girl. I know that I am her entire world. I know, and I'm glad.

I know that I matter to my husband, and that he'd be completely lost without me, thankyouverymuch.

I know that I have some loving, darling friends and family to whom I matter very much.

But what I mean to say is this.

What I want more than anything is to be someone or to create something that really matters, to the world. Something that changes everything and everyone I touch for the better.

I believe in the power of love, in the power of beauty, in the power of kindness. I believe that when we do the ordinary things in extraordinary ways they can change the world. I believe that the personal is political, that the little things aren't little.

So, you see, what I'm striving for isn't a lot. Except for the fact that it's everything.

What I want, more than anything, is to do something that truly matters. It doesn't need to change the world - at least not more than anything else does - but it needs to change something, to change someone.

If I can do that? I will be a success.

The topic for this week's Be Enough Me was, "What are you striving for?"

7 comments:

  1. Just being kind and considerate it a lot. The world needs more of that, no matter how big or how small your corner of influence is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, and making a difference can be the tiniest thing, but if it makes even a small difference in someone's life ... then its all good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe in the power of words. Keep writing and you may obtain your goal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you're wonderful. just had to say that.

    and i think that's sort of why i felt like being a librarian (in that low income town i first worked in) was worth all the badness, because it felt like it mattered. and why giving it up as a career path was so hard, given what i'm doing now.

    your words are powerful.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What you are doing right now in this space is making a difference to all those who read your words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was pretty powerful stuff. That is a tough question too. Do you go out searching or wait for it to come to you? Do we find purpose or does it find us? Your voice is strong here on your blog. That's a start. Now that you are really looking... you might be surprised what you see, learn and find! -Laverne

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a totally awesome post. Love your writing here but also your message. I think you absolutely have the ability to do that. In fact, you already are.

    ReplyDelete