Saturday, April 14, 2012

On doubt

So did anyone else notice that I proclaimed I wanted to be a writer and promptly ... stopped writing altogether?

Yeah.

I'm not really sure what to say. My words feel all bound up in my head, and whenever I see a prompt or a topic or a writing opportunity, the three year old who resides in my brain says "I don't wanna."

I get my feelings hurt easily. I don't take rejection well. So I have trained myself so very carefully over the years to just no try too hard at anything because that will make it so much more crushing when I fail.

Because, ultimately, I will fail. I'm sure of it.

But I don't even know what that means. I don't know what it means to fail because I don't even know what it would look like to succeed.

I have these vague platitudes in my head. I want to write something that matters. I want to create something beautiful. I want to be a real writer.

But I don't know what they mean. In reality.

I hate reality.

I sound like a broken record but I need this because I need a purpose. I have needs for meaning and for productivity and for intellectual stimulation that aren't being met by changing diapers and washing dishes. Sometimes that feels like a failure, like I'm wrong to not be fulfilled by my home and family.

But it's not. I know.

I think that to get where my heart wants me to be, I will probably have to do things that are uncomfortable. And I really don't wanna. And I don't know if I'm asking for a shove or for permission not to. And I don't even really know where it is I'm trying to go. I just know that something is missing and that I think it starts here.

And that scares the crap out of me.

3 comments:

  1. You sound a lot like me. Sometimes I think, I want to learn photography, or I want to be a better writer, or I want to act. Then I start practicing and taking lessons or reading stuff and I stop halfway b/c I don't know...the charm has worn off? I got bored? But I still want those things. Maybe I don't want to do the work to get there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound like me. My feelings get hurt easily too and for some reason I never think I am good enough when doing something I enjoy. I am always doubting myself. I hope one day I can let this feeling go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete