Thursday, September 13, 2012

Two

I can't believe we're here already.  And yet, I feel like this is the place we've been forever.

My sweet Baby Girl, if I can even still call you that, you are going to be two tomorrow.  Two years ago, I was putting my hand to my stomach and asking you to please come meet me, wondering who you were going to be.

Now I know.

Today, you call me mommy.  You say "Oh yeah!" when I make you dinner and "Oh noooo!" when you drop something on the floor. You say letters by name when you see them, and you know that lions roar.  You can climb on anything in the whole house, and you have no fear of the tallest slide at the playground.  You give the best hugs, and you give them generously, just like mama.

Sometimes I look at you and I see a caricature of myself.  I mean, I know I'm a hugger, but I don't go so far as to hug the coffee table . . . do I?  You put your sunglasses in your purse before climbing on your ride-on car and saying "byebye!" and I shake my head, wondering if that's what I look like to you.  You feel your feelings so strongly, both the highs and the lows.

But you aren't me.  You are you, your own brave, social, goofy self.  You know what you want and how to get it.  You love to be around other people, and you know how to make all of them love you.

There are days when I'm not sure what do do with you in all your spiritedness, but there are no days when I know what I'd do without you.

Happy birthday, my sweetest big girl.  Thank you for coming into our lives, and thank you for being exactly who you are.

7 comments:

  1. Happy Birth Day! What a beautiful post to celebrate this milestone. Big hugs.
    PS I didn't realise quite how close our girls are in age. Mine will be 23 months tomorrow. How does the time go like that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot believe she's two!!! Holy smokes!

    Happy birthday BG. You made your mama a mom two years ago - such a gift you gave her. You are both so lucky to have each other.

    Here's to many more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe. Two is a really cool age. It is so amazing to watch them evolve into such thinking, feeling little people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday BG! You are exactly the perfect baby for your mama and you are loved beyond words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no I am late but HAPPY BIRTHDAY BG!!!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday sweets!!!
    I think 2 years old was a really good year. That's when they are all about discovering the world and absorbing it.

    ReplyDelete