Thursday, March 21, 2013

Empathy

This morning, at the indoor play center, my big girl accidentally ran into a smaller girl and knocked her over.  

The little girl (who was probably about 15-18 months old?) whimpered a little as she sat on the ground.  Her mom looked at her and said "Aww, she didn't mean it."

Without thinking, I turned to BG and said "Say sorry, honey."

Her forehead scrunched up and the mom I had been talking to laughed a little.  "Oh," I said.  "She feels bad.  She's going to..."

And then my daughter started to sob.

With the baby in the carrier on my chest, I awkwardly knelt down on the ground and my sweet, sweet girl threw herself into my arms.  The other moms I was there with stood around, looking concerned and saying "Awwww" a lot.  One of her little toddler friends tried to give her a hug.  She just clung to me.

"It's okay, sweetie.  I know you didn't mean it."  
"Noooooooooooo.  Huuuuurrt." 
"Are you hurt?"  
"NOOOOOO!"
"The little girl isn't hurt honey.   She's fine."
"Noooooooooooooooooooooooo."
"Okay.  I know.  I know."

After about ten minutes of this, she pulled back, wiped her face, said "I better" and ran off to go play.

SIGH.

Now, *where* did I get a little girl who feels other people's feelings so much?  Ahem.

I'm feeling a little raw today.  Maybe what I need is for someone to just hold me and let me cry until I say I'm all better, and then I can go run and play again.

Have you seen my post at the Mama's Comfort Camp Blog?  Please go visit me there and check out the amazing community for moms that the lovely Yael has created.

1 comment:

  1. Hugs. I so get this. We are giving our daughters the gift of empathy and compassion for their fellow human beings. I am no longer going to be afraid of being "sensitive" or "wearing my heart on my sleeve". I know that what you see is what you get.

    ReplyDelete